Re: TD Questions

To: <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>, "Ronald Olds" <tr6@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: TD Questions
From: "Bob and Carolyn Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 09:46:01 -0500
This is an often asked question. The support bracket is different back to
front, as well as having the rad mounting holes off center front to rear.
The rear side of the bracket is the side where the lower edge of the
vertical support/reinforcing is sloped from outer side edge to the center
hand crank hole in a straight line from each side. This results in a
gentle "V" on
the rear face.   The front of the bracket has the crank hole enlargement in
the vertical face in a definite enlargement locally at the crank hole only
and
the lower edges are not straight. Easier to see it on the bracket than
describe it. Email me if you need more info.

Thickness of brake shoes can depend on how much is turned off the drum ID.
Nominal drum ID is 9 inches. If a lot has been turned off you may need a
thicker lining properly arced to the larger diameter.  Measure the ID and
work backwards to the lining thickness. I have some new re-bonded shoes
that measure 0.280" thickness, including the steel shoe. Actual lining
thickness is less, about 0.180" to 0.200".  If original rivetted linings,
you need a bit of space clear to the rivet heads, can't say what this
should be exactly but probably about 0.060" clear is OK. Just don't want to
have the rivets score the drum. Linings seem to last a long time on the TD.
Regards, Bob Grunau