Re: Interesting item on eBay web site item#69325598: Whitworth Tap set

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>, <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Interesting item on eBay web site item#69325598: Whitworth Tap set
From: "Bob and Carolyn Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 13:54:17 -0500
dear MG T readers, please be advised that our cars have very few ( if any )
Whitworth threads. The majority of the chassis nuts and bolts are British
Standard Fine ( BSF ) and the engines and gearboxes are metric. Hence,
these Whitworth taps are of little use. Whitworth threads are very similar
to UNC, or our North American course threads.  BSF is the British
equivalent of our UNF or fine thread, but the number of threads per inch
are different between BSF and UNF.
Buy BSF taps and dies for the chassis.
Buy metric taps and dies for the engine /gearbox. Just remember, the most
common engine bolt is 8.0x1.0 mm metric fine thread, ( Normal metric is 8.0
x 1.25mm and this is no good). Other usefull metric sizes for T series are
6.0x1.0, 10x1.5mm, 12x1.5mm. These bolts, nuts, taps and dies and helicoil
repair kits are available from any good bolt supplier.

All of the above is not to suggest that the Whitworth taps and dies
advertised are not a bargain, they may be. But don't  expect to use them on
your MGT Series. I have had several sets of Whitworth taps and dies given
to me and have NEVER used them in over 40 years of MGT  work.
Bob Grunau

----------
> From: kingseim@earthlink.net
> To: mg-t@autox.team.net
> Subject: Interesting item on eBay web site item#69325598: Whitworth Tap
set
> Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 9:34 PM
>
> I saw this item for sale at eBay, the world's largest personal trading
community, and thought that you might be interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=69325598

> Item Description:
>       Set of hard to find Whitworth taps for British cars and motorcycles.
Sizes are 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2. No box or handle, but
any tap handle, or adjustable wrench will do. Quality is very good, British
made, guaranteed satisfactory or return. Buyer to add $2 postage in USA.
More elsewhere.