Re: TC race cam troubles

To: <cgrunau@pathcom.com>, "MG T List" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TC race cam troubles
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:15:17 -0800
Bob........

Did you fit new oil pump gears when you were building the engine? Did you
take the time to measure the end clearance between the new gears and the oil
pump cap?

The problem you describe has happened on several engines with which I'm
familiar (though, thankfully, not ones I built!) The gears are just a skosh
too long and, when they heat up, they bind in the housing. The weak link is
the gear on the shaft, so this shears off. In one instance, it then jammed
between one lobe of the camshaft and the inner wall of the block. Room was
made for it by a large piece of the block exploding outwards..............

When fitting new gears in an XPAG or XPEG oil pump, it is imperative to make
sure there is 3 thou clearance between the ends of the gears and the cover.

Just a possiblity..........

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center