Re: TC race cam troubles

To: <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Subject: Re: TC race cam troubles
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 07:51:37 -0800
Bob.........you mention wear marks on the cap above the driven gear. Let's
just double check - by this, you mean the one that rides on the idler shaft,
not the one that's on the shaft driven by the cam? If I'm on the same page
as you, then the problem may still have been caused by the gears being too
tight once they got really hot.

If the gear isn't perfectly at 90 degrees to the inside of the pump body, or
to the driving gear, it can rub or bind. I always make sure that the radial
clearance between this driven gear and the case is the same all the way
around, and also that it is not meshing tighter at the top of the driving
gear than at the bottom.

Even though the shaft that the driven gear rides on looks pretty solid, it
is possible to move it about with a big, soft hammer. (I use one of those
Compothane, sand-filled ones.) A few hefty taps in the appropriate direction
will move the shaft sufficiently to enable the gear to have uniform
clearance in all directions.

As to cam choice, I can only say that I used a Crane T-3 in one engine and
found it really would work only at high rpm; below 3,500 it had so much
overlap that one could see the fuel spitting back out of the carburetors.
Most of my T-racing was done using a regrind that was similar to the factory
competition cam.

Lawrie