RE: A TD owner need some help

To: <TATERRY@aol.com>
Subject: RE: A TD owner need some help
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:38:44 -0600
It   looks like I'm in the minority here, However, let me relate a true
story that I just went through with my car last week.

I just finished replacing valves, guides, push rods, tappets, and cam. Never
did the car seem to have so much power. However, it wouldn't accelerate.
Hesitated when pushed, and the idle would speed up when hot.

To make a long story short, I found that the rear carb had been replaced
with an incorrect body some 25 years ago, which I never noticed. The vent
holes in the bottom of the body wern't there. There was a single hole in the
air cleaner manifold face, instead. This, of course, was covered by the
gasket and manifold when assembled.

The car would run reasonable well at idle, but would exhibit the exact
symptoms at any higher speed - with the attendant black smoke and irregular
beat. What I did to solve  it was to remove the piston tickler pin. This
allowed the required venting into the suction chamber and allow the piston
to rise on acceleration. Completely cured the problem.

The obvious cure is to redo the checks with the air cleaners off. Lift the
piston about 1/8" and determine the effect on engine speed. If it rises and
continues to rise, it's running rich. If the engine speed decreases, or the
engine kills, that carb is running lean. If there's a very slight increase
which then settles down, or there is no change in engine speed, that carb is
running with the proper mixture.

Let us know what happens.