Re: Mark II

To: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>, MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mark II
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:40:34 -0600
Stu,
         Key here is that they are friction dampers. The oil is not moving
through any valves the way a hydraulic damper works. The oil is merely a
lubricant for the wooden discs which are sandwiched between steel plates.
The interior steel plates are affixed to the shaft with splines. The outer
plate (towards the arm) is attached to the body and is bent and has 2
embossed dimples. The lock screw on the outside is used to apply pressure
on the bent plate thereby squeezing the steel discs and wood discs and
providing stiffer damping.
         Grease would serve fine for this with the added benefit of being
less likely to leak out, as there really is no seal on the shaft. It is
more of a dust boot. The only real problem we've seen is corrosion inside
on both the plates and casing. Steel vs. aluminum.
         Hope that description helps.

Peter C.
======