Re: Wiper motor

To: Douglas.Ormrod@neurological.org.nz
Subject: Re: Wiper motor
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 11:16:07 -0400
Douglas,
    Lubriplate makes a light, white grease that is good for the wiper
motor. Hardware stores and fishing gear stores carry it.  Put a little on
the wearing surfaces.  I know that we often see the case filled with
grease, but it serves no purpose there except to become gummy and to
collect dirt.  There are two lubrication holes in the casting. I suppose
that over the years owners have found some way to push grease into them,
which might explain grease filling the case.
    One place that a bit of grease can be useful is on the cork or felt
gland on the outside of the windscreen frame. Grease there tends to
waterproof  the gland a bit.  If that leaks rain water, the water flows
right down the shaft and into the motor.  You will find some motors that
have had a drain hole drilled in the bottom rear corner, and many motors
that have waterlines inside the case.
Bob