Re: TD Wiper disassembly

To: simbafish@comcast.net
Subject: Re: TD Wiper disassembly
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:14:26 -0400
Hi Stu,
    That switch lever is, to my memory, a slip-on fit.  I just checked my
motor to be sure, and it does not have a retaining screw.
     You might try penetrating oil of some sort.  If you removed wiper
from windscreen, put a good drop of fluid on the lever and tilted so
fluid went toward motor, then inverted the motor so that the fluid could
get to the intersection of the lever and its shaft.
     If you have a torch with a tiny flame, perhaps a wee bit of heat on
the lever would release it from the shaft also.
    Occasionally a motor will fill up with water that has come down the
wiper shaft, causing the motor to short.  A bit of grease on the cork or
felt gland on the outside of the windscreen frame helps to repel the
water.
    Yesterday I found a bit of an electric problem in my TD.  I tapped
the horn button and there was no sound.  That's a first---it has always
worked well and sounded both horns loud and clear.  In fact, about a
month ago I took the car to an old-car line-up at an elementary school,
and each of the 55 youngsters who sat in the car for photographs enjoyed
testing the horn. It worked great, then.
Bob

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 15:48:40 -0400 "Stuart  C. Keen, Jr."
<simbafish@comcast.net> writes:
> The wiper motor on my 1951 TD blew a fuse. Replaced the fuse, not
> blow again, but no motor movement. There is 12 v dc at the motor
> terminals. How do I remove the outer case to inspect? I removed the
screw recessed
> in the manual lever control (as well as the screws on either side of
the
> case), but I cannot remove the handle. Looking at the picture in the
Workshop
> Manual, page N.14, it appears the manual lever is screwed on the shaft.
It