Re: [Mg-t] screw into wood question

To: John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] screw into wood question
From: Dave and Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:39:54 -0800
On 1/30/2010 9:22 AM, John Seim wrote:
> What I use to repair this, as well as the wood screw locations for the
> door checks, is a 10/32 rosan wood insert.
> You drill a 23/64" hole, or 3/8" hole, into the wood. You already have
> correctly located holes. You can just
> progressively go larger.
> This wood insert is about 3/8" outer diameter, made of brass, and has
> knife edge screw thread around its exterior.
> Makes for a very nice and secure mounting. You can then install 10/32
> machine screws, to secure to bonnet to the
> outer rail.

This is what I used some 25 years ago on all the spots that had wood
screws in our TD and have never had a failure since.  I even went so far
as to drill through the wood where the Lift-The-Dot studs are installed
around the body tub and install 10-32 knife edge inserts from the back
side to accept the LTD studs with 10-32 screws rather than the short
sheet metal screws on them.  I believe that I have seen knife edge
inserts in Lowe's and Home Depot.

Cheers,
Dave