[Mg-t] Ignition problem - I think!

To: "mg-t@autox.team.net" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mg-t] Ignition problem - I think!
From: Douglas Ormrod <Douglas.Ormrod@Neurological.org.nz>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 04:29:50 +0000
Hi T people

Last weekend my 51 TD, which has been very reliable to date, started to
suddenly  miss then died altogether. I suspected ignition as the pump was
ticking away - but could not find anything obvious so got towed home.

I have since cleaned and reset the points, fitted a new condenser and
distributor cap. There is a spark on manually opening closing the points, but
does not seem to be a spark at the plugs - with one removed and sitting on a
bright spot on the engine while it turns over. Engine does not even attempt to
fire. All connections seem tight and the wiring was all renewed on
restoration.

The only old bit in the system is a 1973 Lucas TA12 sports coil. Should I
suspect that? How do I test it? I can't remember  - should it be a Ballast or
non-Ballast type coil. I have a couple of other coils a Lucas 8C12 Ballast
type and a HA12 fluid cooled type - and a Delco Remy 115043. Guess I could buy
a new one and try that - but would like to know if the coil is at fault
first.

Any other suggests for fault finding gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Douglas

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47