Re: [Mg-t] Further to; Running, but not well

To: Rick Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com>, MG-T Group <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Further to; Running, but not well
From: John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 06:23:31 -0700
Rick, there are two different distributors shaft lengths used.
The shaft length is the difference.
Early dist. 40048 and 40162 are to be used in banana hole blocks, with a center
bolt holding the distributor in place.
These distributors have a longer shaft length, as a micrometer adjuster, or a
clamp and a spacing washer, were to be used
with the distributor installation in the car.
If you use these in a later style engine, the gear will sit below the gear on
the cam, the cam gear will carve a section out of
the distributor shaft, and your timing will jump around a little.

The round hole blocks have a shaft with a half moon holding the dist. in place.
They eliminated the clamp, and decreased the dist. shaft length by 3/8 inch.
Distributor numbers 40367 and 40368 fall into this category.
If you use them in an early engine, with a clamp, the gear will barely engage
the cam gear, and your timing will jump
all over the place.

John Seim