Re: Misc info!

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Misc info!
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 15:07:50 EST
Cc: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
        Dan has good info and I would like to add to it.  Most of the
Mustangs (and Mercury counterparts) had reasonable differentials.  If you
get into a HIPO model, it is likely to have a limited slip differential,
as well.  The drawback might be a lower (higher numerically) ratio than
what you would desire.  I have lost my list somewhere in cyberspace, but
a good junkyard will have the computer capability to tell you what, and
what years,  these 8.8 diffs were in and the ratio range available.
        Me?  I found a 3.08 w/ LSD for $200.  It came from a Mustang w/ a
tree print in the side.  Most of the higher performance models have long
since hit fixed objects at great speed and now reside in junk yards.
There are bound to be a lot of the 3.08's left as these came, mostly, in
automatic transmissioned models.  Good hunting.

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com

"If you're stupid, you'll have to pay for it"

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997 22:14:56 -0400 (EDT) DANMAS@aol.com writes:
>Greetings, MGV8ers:                                     The 8.8
should handle all the power we are putting into the MGs, unless you
really get carried away.
 I priced a used 8.8" axle at a Mustang salvage yard in Atlanta the other
day. A complete unit, with drum brakes and either a 2.73 or a 3.08 ratio,
costs $375. From other sources, a new ring a pinion set costs about $180
- $200, and can be had in ratios of 3.27, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.30, 4.56,,
4.88,and 5.13!