Calipers

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Calipers
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 14:42:26 +0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
I have just replaced the calipers on my factory V8.  The old
calipers do not have a cut-out in the piston where it
contacts the pad, but the new calipers do.  My V8 Workshop
Supplement does not contain a section on brakes although
it is listed in the index (the index varies from the actual
contents elsewhere as well), but the 1800 Manual states that the
cut-out must be located towards the hub.  The cut-outs on the
new calipers all face upwards when the calipers are mounted
i.e. towards the trailing edge of the pad.  I tried rotating
one of the pistons but it would not budge, even though they
all move in and out smoothly (much better than the old
calipers).

I find it difficult to believe that all the cut-outs have
landed up in this position purely by chance, but wonder at
the difference to the 1800 manual.

Any comments or suggestions?

PaulH.