Re: Swirl Pot

To: mgb-V8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Swirl Pot
From: DickShaler@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 23:20:12 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Kieth,
  Yes, the 95,96 engines  have the new block casting, front covers, etc.  The
'95 is a 3.9 designation with the multiport injection and the '96 4.0 is a
sequential injection GEMS system.  Same block casting and dimensions but quite
different otherwise.
 Both engines in stock form are about 3" shorter than the 215 or earlier Rover
units and fit nicely into the MGB engine bay as is, without water pump
shortening.
  The 4.0 system is similar to the Motronic system while the 3.9 is as you say
an L jetronic relative.  The major problem I have now is fitting a suitable
flywheel to the 4.0.  Since there is no distributor and a bank of 4 double
ended coils the engine speed is taken from the flywheel rather than the coil.
No one I've talked to seems to know where to get a manual shift flywheel and
the engine won't run without the "target" part of the speed sensor.
  Anybody you know of who has dealt with this unit and could be of immense
help in getting this wonderful engine fitted to the MG.  Let me know if your
Cortina guy has any suggestions.  I'd love to chat with him.

    Regards Dick