Re: Help! Information Overload

To: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Subject: Re: Help! Information Overload
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:08:21 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net

Mike Hartwig wrote:

> Just got off the phone with Glen Towery a few mins ago.  He put down most
> of the info i've been getting off the net.  See what you guys think of this:
> 1.  When the engine (88 RR 3.5) was in the machine shop, all of the bores
> were fine except #8 which was .005 over.      Glen strongly urged me to get
> it rebored.  What do you think?

5 thou. over is a lot   You could resleeve that one bore.  Another fix is to
knurl the piston to fit and use oversize rings, but that is less attractive.

> 2.  I got the Silv-O-Lite pistons from the buick 215 9.6:1 I believe.  He
> said since they are 100grams lighter that the stock rover ones, that i'll
> need to get the engine balanced.

I agree that the 100 grams weight reduction in the pistons requires rebalance

> 3.  Since i'll need to rebore, he didn't think silv-o-lite made a 9.6:1 in
> .020 so i'll have to go to a 8.8:1 and get the block ground down a bit to
> raise it back up again.

Check with sil-vo-lite.  I think they make oversizes up to .040 because the
original BOP engine could be overbored that much.

> 4.  He did NOT recomend the use of the Fel-Pro composite head gasket.  He
> says it'll drop a half point in compression if I use them.  He sad to use
> metal ones.  RPI says the opposite.  Use composite instead of metal due to
> leakage.

Fel-pro probably seals better but is thicker and will drop compression, so plan
for that with your pistons.

> 5.  Since i'm using a BW t-5 tranny, he said to leave the B rear end there
> and get rid of my ford 8"

Look at your od 5th gear ratio.  i think some t-5s are as low aas .63, which may
be fine with the 3.9 rear, but how useful will 1st and 2nd be?

> 6.  Don't want to start the manifold and carb war over again, but he said
> my Offy Dual Plane Manifold and Holley 390 wasn't very good.  Heard some
> bad things about holleys, but never against the Offy.  The "Tuning Rover
> V8's" book gives it a good recomendation.

Most effective current street manifold is  the Edelbrock, but Offy will work,
just does not give all the perf available.  John Roper