Help! Information Overload

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Help! Information Overload
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:46:48 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Just got off the phone with Glen Towery a few mins ago.  He put down most
of the info i've been getting off the net.  See what you guys think of this:
1.  When the engine (88 RR 3.5) was in the machine shop, all of the bores
were fine except #8 which was .005 over.      Glen strongly urged me to get
it rebored.  What do you think?

2.  I got the Silv-O-Lite pistons from the buick 215 9.6:1 I believe.  He
said since they are 100grams lighter that the stock rover ones, that i'll
need to get the engine balanced.

3.  Since i'll need to rebore, he didn't think silv-o-lite made a 9.6:1 in
.020 so i'll have to go to a 8.8:1 and get the block ground down a bit to
raise it back up again.

4.  He did NOT recomend the use of the Fel-Pro composite head gasket.  He
says it'll drop a half point in compression if I use them.  He sad to use
metal ones.  RPI says the opposite.  Use composite instead of metal due to
leakage.

5.  Since i'm using a BW t-5 tranny, he said to leave the B rear end there
and get rid of my ford 8"

6.  Don't want to start the manifold and carb war over again, but he said
my Offy Dual Plane Manifold and Holley 390 wasn't very good.  Heard some
bad things about holleys, but never against the Offy.  The "Tuning Rover
V8's" book gives it a good recomendation.

keep in mind that this car will be my daily driver, I don't need it for
autocross or anything like that.
Can you guys help me out here!?!

Thanks
Mike