Re: MGB-GT V8 engine choice

To: "Glen R. Wilson" <GlenWilson@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: MGB-GT V8 engine choice
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:13:29 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Glen-

According to some tech article I have somewhere, both versions of the FI
need modifications to fit under a stock hood. The early version has both
the base & upper portion machined total about 1" I believe. An earlier
post covered the later version.

I know the stock Buick/Olds 4 bbl manifolds fit with either a 400, 500
cfm Carter, or the 500 cfm Edelbrock carbs. The 390 Holley will also
work, although I have only seen that combo, never used it. You will need
a low rise 14" air cleaner. I use a 2-3/4" K & N filter, throw away the
cheapy that comes with most air cleaners. The typical "low rider" air
cleaner needs some attention with a BFH to make a dimple to clear the
electric choke on the Carter/Edelbrock carbs, don't know about the
Holley.With the low rider & the Carter/edelbrock, you will need a banjo
fitting at the fuel inlet so the fuel line does not foul the air
cleaner. This is an Edlebrock part that is readily available at local
speed shops or Summit by mail.

I am sure someone else on the list must be using an Offy or Edelbrock
manifold & will comment.

If you are only a little way from clearing, loosen the nuts that hold
the rubber motor mounts to the body, get a long bar & the BFH mentioned
previously, & hit the steel base of the motor mounts, on the end towards
the body. This downward  relocation will do 2 things: 1, lower your
engine 1-4-1/2", 2, put your mounts under compression. They will live
much longer this way, & the engine will not "rock" as much. Reducing the
amount the rubber stretches is a good thing.

Jim