RE: CA engine swap/smog laws

To: chrisandsarahb@juno.com
Subject: RE: CA engine swap/smog laws
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:58:20 -0800
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Chris:

        As far as I know changing any emissions related equipment is
contrary to federal law.  However the laws are enforced on a state level.
In California thanks to lots of lobbying by car folks no pre-74 cars are
being tested anymore.  This means that your 73 MGBGT does not have to be
tested for smog, or engine swaps.  Now this does not mean that some time in
the future the laws may not change again.  For now you are safe.
        Up until this law change the 67 MGB GT was just as much of a
liability as a 73.  Cars 65 and older were the only ones exempt.  Now you
have your pick up to and including 1973.

Kelvin.