Am I measuring this correctly or just losing my mind ?

To: "'V8 List '" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Am I measuring this correctly or just losing my mind ?
From: Mike Cousins <mike.cousins@wsnelson.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:59:03 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Here's the facts:

 1977 MGB - Rover 3500 SD1 engine and tranny.

 NON A/C mounts a - la Glen Towery

 Shortened water pump a - la Ted Schumacker (sp?) with reversed pulley off
of buick water pump (does not stick out past the water pump shaft)

OK - here's the problem.  I'm just about to yank the 4 out of the MG so just
for grins I decide to measure from the middle of the rubber mount to the
radiator.  I get about 10"-11"   (cant remember exactly right off hand)
Then, with the mounts on the Rover 3500, I measure from the center of the
mount to the crankshaft pulley - 9 or so inches - no problem, however, the
measurement to the tip of the water pump shaft is about 13" or more  PROBLEM
!!!!

What's going on here - I thought this thing was supposed to fit and clear
the radiator ????

Any thoughts/experiences are appreciated.

Also, I do have the front timing chain / oil pump cover from a '62 olds that
I could use, but I'd prefer to keep the Rover cover.

Cheers !