Re: Running but Hot

To: Rick Huber <102221.1716@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Running but Hot
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 20:15:50 -0500
Cc: V8 List <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net

Rick-

Some observations that may help: 12" fan is too small. I run a 16"
puller on both V-8's. A fan on the push side is 15-20% less efficient
than the same fan as a puller.

You are not filling your cooling system completely. Even Glenn Towrey
admits that this is time consuming with a low mount overflow tank. Try
Summit or Jegs for a filler that will "T" into your top hose, or get
creative with some large copper pipe & some solder & make a filler for
your top hose. My tank is a TR7 item with mounting bracket that I
mounted to the firewall next to the passenger side head, higher than the
top of the radiator. Large hose "T's" into the heater line, small hose
to the radiator overflow fitting.

Check your timing. Too much advance will make your engine run hot.

Use a gauge from a MGB. A trip to the plumbing supply house will get you
an adapter to fit it into the larger hole in the intake manifold. My
gauge is a VDO, the sender was a perfect fit (electric).

Check your fuel line routing. It may be picking up too much heat from
the engine & vapor-locking.

Hope some of this helps.

Jim Stuart