Re: 215 alternatives

To: fayth@ibm.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 215 alternatives
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:19:41 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/7/99 12:13:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fayth@ibm.net
writes:

>  I was looking at some
>  general engine dimention specs and though it is heavier, the ford 5.0 is
>  almost the same size-wise as the Buick 215. Anyone ever fit one to an MGB?

Obie,

Actually, the Ford engine is SMALLER than  the 215. With aluminum heads,
lightweight flywheel and starter, the Ford weighs 424 pounds complete, ready
to go, with all ancillaries such as alternator, carburetors, etc. I don't
have the equivalent weight for the 215, but it is generally listed at 320,
but I think that doesn't include everything.

I'm putting a Ford 302 in my TR6, and Dale Spooner and Dan Graves have VERY
nice MGBs with a Ford.  When the TR6 is finished, I plan to put a Ford in my
MGBGT.

For more info, check out:

http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8conv.htm    (has info on Dales fine car
with a photo of the engine bay)

http://members.aol.com/danmas/mgbford.htm   (has info and photos of Dan
Graves' fine car)

http://members.aol.com/danmas/    (general info on engine swapping)

http://members.aol.com/danmas/motors.htm    (comparisons of the 215
BOP/Rover, Ford 302, and Chevy 350 engines)

http://members.aol.com/danmas/design.htm    (general design consideration for
a swap, including a discussion of weight distribution)

http://members.aol.com/danmas/1971.htm   (pictures and info on my TR6/Ford
302 swap)

Dan