RE: Hydraulic Throw-out Bearings

To: "'Barrie Robinson'" <robinson@baradv.on.ca>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Hydraulic Throw-out Bearings
From: Timothy Duhamel <tduhamel@prototechco.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:27:13 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I'm using an early Weber/McLeod type - the kind that replaces the input
shaft cover - with good success.  I've got it on a T-5 and the action is
nice. It is being used with the stock B master.  Putting this in was really
nice since there are no clearance issues between the trans and the tunnel.
You have to have the throwout bearing free space - between the bearing and
the pressure plate - just right (<0.100"). On this particular model, this is
accomplished by obtaining the correct length piston.

Because it took me a few tries to get it just right, I know that all of the
parts are available to reseal and rebuild these units.

I understand the newer style can be adjusted to take up the bearing
clearance. But that's all I know about it.

Cheers,
Tim Duhamel
running a Sebringed '79 Beast with a Buick
tduhamel@prototechco.com