Re: Hydraulic Throw-out Bearings

To: Timothy Duhamel <tduhamel@prototechco.com>
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Throw-out Bearings
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 00:04:44 -0400
Cc: "'Barrie Robinson'" <robinson@baradv.on.ca>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have the newer version of the McLeod (Webber is the same) HTOB. Actually, I
have had 2, one on my roadster with a T-50 tranny, & one on my GT with a T-5
trans. Both work(ed) flawlessly, the 1st needing a rebuild after only 100,000
miles. Took 10 min using the extra seals ( O-rings) shipped with the unit. Of
course, it took 2 hours to R & R the trans. Very easy to set up using the
threaded adjustable collar. The newer McLeod just slips over the input shaft
sleeve, inlet & bleed lines go through the side hole in the bell housing
originally for the clutch arm. A simple metal finger is bolted to the bell
housing or tranny front cover to prevent the bearing from rotating. As a
practical matter, it is not needed, as the hydraulic lines do the same thing, &
are more than strong enough as they are braided stainless.

There is really no alternative to the HTOB, unless you enjoy tunnel bashing,
needless engineering, wasted time, & a stiff clutch with pivots that wear
quickly. If you enjoy this form of masochism, let me know, I still have a 948
sprite clutch slave, modified TR6 bracket, shortened GM clutch arm, from 12
years ago, pre- McLeod.

As an interesting aside, when I bought my first HTOB, about 10 years ago, pre-
internet, there was no info available, so I called McLeod for help. I was
transferred to "Red" who had all the answers. He faxed me a hand written
application sheet, with all the clearances, part no's, etc. Hand ruled on blank
paper, not even a letter head. Talked to him again to finalize the order, he was
a real nice guy, very helpful, seemed to know everything about the Webber/
McLerod line, including clutch applications. He was very interested in the
215/MG swap, asked a lot of questions.

4 years later, I learned that "Red" was Red Roberts, President of McLeod
industries. Just another "hot rodder".

Jim Stuart
with about 320,000 miles on McLeod HTOB's