Re: R V-8 Headers

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: R V-8 Headers
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:14:48 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Keith-

I just put the dummy engine/tranny in the '78 project car- 3.5 Rover/Buick
bell housing/T-5 & cut the holes in the fenders for a set of headers I
bought from TS Imports (Ted) at Champaign this summer. These are the 2
piece RV8 style that Ted & Glenn Towery are selling.

The initial fit looks good. I cut small holes & widened them to allow
header installation with the engine in place. It does not look too
hateful, & I am thinking about a shield on the underside to prevent
water/snow from splashing in. This will  be a daily driver for me, so it
is probably a waste of time for many to worry about this. Overall, the fit
& quality look excellent. The sleeve fit between the 2 pieces seems to be
tight enough to eliminate leaks, although I have a little concern that
they may be too tight after they are Jet Hot coated.

The header bolts at the rear on the drivers side(USA) do not look like
they will clear the steering shaft for installation, no way to use a stud,
so it looks like the rack will have to be unbolted from the crossmember&
pulled out of the way to bolt up the headers. This is dependent upon
engine location, & I am using Glenn's A/C style mounts with max engine set
back. The traditional mounts locate the engine 1- 1-1/2" farther forward &
this may eliminate the interference. Still, a much better alternative than
removing the engine.

The other alternative is $1000.00 for the beautiful set of headers the
Aussies are selling. A real piece of auto art, but just too rich for me.

Jim Stuart