Re: Suspension rubber whatsists

To: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Subject: Re: Suspension rubber whatsists
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 21:59:45 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Barrie-

I can give you thoughts on rubber vs poly - no personal experience with
nylatron. I have changed 2 street driven cars over to poly bushings. As Ted has
said, no squeeks. My real reason for making the change was reduced service
requirements. Rubber bushings do not last long & are a pain to change. Even the
"famous" V-8 bushings are not that long-lasting, & the steel sleeve will sieze
to the bolt if an anti sieze compound is not used, making removal a real pig.
The fact that the poly bushings will firm up your handling somewhat is a plus.

When is the last time anyone checked the rubber pads between the front X-member
& the frame? I have seen some so deteriorated that with the car on jack stands,
the X-member would actually move. These are one of the first pieces I replaced.

I bought my first MGB, a 3 year old car with 27,000 miles on it in almost
perfect condidion for next to nothing because it would barely go around a
corner - all 4 front shock bushings were literally gone.

I find no ride discomfort from using poly bushings with good stock suspension
pieces- stock shocks & springs with huge roll bars in my GT. Any complaints are
usually unjustified, & the real cause is usually that up-rated spring you
installed at the same time, or the too stiff tube shock conversion that just
happened to use poly bushings. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Jim Stuart