Re: Centering MGB fuel tank

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Centering MGB fuel tank
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@solve.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 08:14:37 -0500
Cc: MG V8 List <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Larry Hoy wrote:

> One of my next V8 projects will be to center the fuel tank on my 1969 MGB.

Dual exhausts, Larry?  Another "product" of the 60's, huh?

>  I'm guessing the centering portion will be rather straight forward.  I would
>like to hear
> from someone who may have done this, to find out how they handled the hose
>connection from the
> fuel neck to the tank.

The centering of the tank is pretty straightforward.  I used a sized similar
carriage bolt,
drilled through the floor and tacked them.  Moving the hole is a little
trickier.  If you're
careful, you can measure the distance needed on the boot floor and then cut out
the floor
section so you can simply turn it 180 degrees and weld it back in.  I don't
remember the numbers
but it was pretty simple.  What made it really simple was that I had access to
a plasma cutter
at the time.

> Is there an "off the shelf" hose I can adapt?  Is there universal fuel hose
>that can be bent
> to the right angle?

Again, operating on memory, I think it was a late model Midget rubber hose.  It
fit just like it
was designed to do it.

The little depression on the pan thing under the bumper is a little time
consuming.  I made a
template of the left side and turned it 180 to measure and mark the right side.
 Oddly, they are
not symetrical.

I can send you some pictures if it would help.

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO

Pop. 420