engine parts help

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: engine parts help
From: "Matt Diamond" <mgb_69@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:21:28 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hello all once again,

I have finally discovered that what I seem to have is not a Buick engine as
I was first told.  I could not find the serial numbers where they were
supposed to be, so I started my research on Rover engines and found the
serial number on the block under spark plugs 3 and 5.  It appears that what
I have is a Rover v8 out of a Triumph TR8 complete with the 5 speed behind
it.  I have not been able to find out what year it is from however.  The
engine number is 12E01181, so if anyone has any info on that I would
appreciate it.  The valve covers seem to be of the proper style for the
particular engine, grooves and ribs running the length of them.  I am going
to assume that the aluminum heads are from the original engine for the
moment.  The intake seems to be a Buick 4 barrel with a Rochester Quadrajet
up top.  There is also an adapter plate under the carb about 3/4 of an inch
thick.  I have been told that it may not be needed, so if you have any
experience on that I would appreciate input.

I have no idea what timing cover, water pump or distributor is on the
engine.  Is there a way of finding this out?  Are there numbers on these
parts that can be found and seen without removing them?  One clue on mine
that might help is that a "finger" like timing indicator sticks out from the
cover over the crank pulley.  If it makes any difference, the oil filter is
angled down and forward from the front of the engine on the right side (US
passenger side).  The water pump does seem to be of the "long nosed" type.
The crank pulley seems a bit odd.  From the engine side outwards, it looks
like a v-belt pulley, then a timing ring (about the same width as a belt)
and then two more v-belt locations.  The crank pulley might even be a
combination of pulleys.  Without removing it I am not sure and the water
pump is driven by one of the outside pulleys.

On the good side, it does have good compression.  It has plugs for a Buick
in it at this time.  I will have to find out what the difference is in these
versus what should be in it.  It runs strong.  I have it idling at about 800
rpm but the idle does seem to wander a bit at this moment, but we will see
what happens after I get it timed and adjust the carb.  I have installed new
plugs (probably wong plugs now since it is not a Buick), points and adjusted
dwell, but have not wanted to try adjusting the timing yet since I have no
idea if the parts on it should indicate anything or not.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance,

Matt