It lives

To: "MGB Newsgroup" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: It lives
From: "Bruce" <brucemills@dccnet.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:46:19 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
The car is done. I had to use a 90 degree plumbing fitting and a couple of
hose's from the wrecker to do the lower rad hose but it is water tight. I
had to use a substandard brass fitting to mate up my new oil pressure line
to the British fitting but that is oil tight. So Friday I finished every
thing and checked and rechecked and primed the oil, I then went to start it.
It turned over fine but no bang. Had gas but no spark but I was out of time.
Figured it must be the relay I put in for the new starter, boy those numbers
are small. And that's just what it was, 2 wires crossed. Man she fired right
up.But the oil pressure dropped right off. Shut her down, checked it out
again and gave her one more chance. Still no oil pressure. Now I figure the
worst, that I have some how screwed up the re-building of the up-rated oil
pump. So I pull the distributor and prime the engine again, oil pressure
comes up, drive on the distributor is intact. Now it's got me going. I know
I put 5lt of oil in her before I installed it. But what the hell I'll check
it. Guess what. I added another 3lt of oil. The only thing I can think of is
that with dry lines, engine oil journals/filter and pump that I just needed
more oil to reach the pick up. This time it fired right up I was able to bed
the cam in (20 min) and then tweaked the carb so she would roughly idle.
Lumpy cam. It is a monster. A few minor things to do and then will get it
down to the local exhaust shop for the exhaust system, set the dwell so I
can
dial in the tach and then work out the speedo. After that it is cruising
with the top down.

Bruce