Transmission Problems x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission Problems x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Rick Huber <rickhuber1@home.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:43:08 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi there V8 ers,

I've been off the list for quite a while, too much travelling with work
to keep up with much MG stuff these days.  After a winter with the hood
up and only driving once or twice a month for the last six months, I've
finally gotten my 75 V8 B out, put down the hood, and put a few hours of
driving in.

Unfortunately, toward the end of today's drive, I lost the capability to
use 3rd and 5th gear in my Rover 5 speed (from a TR8) transmission.  It
first happened when I pulled into a parking lot, and I couldn't get it
into 1st gear.  Second worked, so I limped over to parking spot.  After
awhile, I got back in to drive home.  After cycling through reverse, 1st
worked, and I pulled out of the parking lot.  Went from 1st to 2nd fine,
but then when I went to put it into 3rd, it wouldn't go, 4th worked
fine, but no 5th.  At the next stop light, I tried to put it in 1st,
3rd, and 5th while stopped, and it wouldn't go.  Then I cycled it
through reverse, and it would go into 1st, reverse, 3rd, reverse 5th.
If I go from reverse to first and then try to put it in 3rd or 5th it
wont go.  So driving the rest of the way home, it was like this.
Reverse then first at the stop light, then 2nd and 4th to the next stop
light.

It feels to me like the synchronizers aren't working in the forward
(from the shaft perspective) gears, but works OK for the rearward
gears.  Does this make sense ?  Anybody seen this problem before and can
tell me what I've got ?

Safety faster with a V8 !!

Rick