Re: 302 Ford engine question

To: CraigFaubel@aol.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 302 Ford engine question
From: FJ40Jim@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 00:08:16 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 5/23/01, CraigFaubel@aol.com writes:
> I've never run my 302 yet, and in fact it's not even totally assembled.
I'm
>  ordering a radiator from Griffin to get it to fit in my B's engine bay,
and
> I need this information to get the inlet/outlet locations:
>  1)  I have a 69 engine with the pump's long neck extending down and to the
>  right (passenger side)... is this the inlet to the pump or the outlet from
>  the pump?

Craig,
The pump is pulling up cold water from the bottom of the radiator.  The rad
hose connection on a conventional pump is always the inlet.

>  2)  does the thermostat housing 'neck' extend out toward the left (driver
>  side) or the right?

I think you can buy them either direction from Ford or Mr. Gasket.

>  3) what is the inside diameter of the two hoses?

There is some variance there.  Best to measure the hardware that you are
going to use.

>  4) with dual pass, side flow radiators (with both inlet/outlet on the same
>  side) , is there a preferred flow?

In a conventional cooling system, hot water goes in the top of the radiator,
cool water is pulled out of the bottom by the water pump.  It makes sense
because convection will naturally assist w/ the flow of coolant.

Thanks,
Jim Chenoweth   78 MGB/302V8/T5 pile of parts
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Mailto: fj40jim@aol.com
Ph. 740.862.2604