Factory 4-sp bellhousing

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Factory 4-sp bellhousing
From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 01:56:47 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Has anyone ever cracked a factory 4 speed bellhousing?  I was starting to put
my engine back into the car today, and when it came time to bolt the
bellhousing back to the engine, I got about half way done when I noticed that
it was cracked.  The thin area below the clutch lever hole is completely
broken through on the transmission end.  There is another crack, tracing
around the transmission area from the linkage hole up to about the middle of
the bellhousing.  The cracks are not on the machined parts of the bellhousing
but where the transmission mounting area joins the main casting that covers
the clutch.

I'm not sure when this happened but I have two guesses.  First, and least
likely IMO, is that it was cracked by the shock of the engine destroying
itself while cruising at 4500 RPM on the highway.  Second, and more likely
IMO, was that it was the shock of driving hard with the Buick 4speed and a
3.93 rear end although if this were the problem I expect that there would be
more accounts of failures.  Any ideas?

I'm going to have it welded back up and have the clutch linkage area filled in
as well, I will then drill a hole for my flex lines to pass through.  I intend
to have it professionally welded since I don't have a lot of experience
welding Al, but does anyone know what alloy of rod to use to reweld it?

James Nazarian
71B Tourer
71BGT V8
85 Dodge Ram