Rover prep work and block weaknesses

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Rover prep work and block weaknesses
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 00:16:24 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
All,
    I just received my shiny (almost) new Rover 3.9 bare-block from Dan
LaGrou.  I must say his machinist does great work, and it's a pleasure
working with Dan, as usual.  Unfortunately my experiences with Lanocha
Racing in Baltimore were not so pleasant, so I cannot recommend their
services to anyone on the list.  Feel free to e-mail me if you are
planning on dealing with them.  But I digress...
    After reviewing some literature on the BOP 215, I was wondering if
the new(er) Rover blocks suffer from the same oil starvation issues as
the old BOP blocks do.  The article I was reading talked about how the
BOP oil galleries needed to be opened up as well as fitting a larger oil
pick-up tube.  Can anyone speak to the utility of doing this on the new
blocks?  I don't want to hack at my block if I don't need to.
    Also, after looking at a UK Rover web page, I wondered if anyone had
problems with the newer blocks cracking and loosing coolant.  Acording
to this site, the rover EFI computer tended to run the mixture lean,
causing the combustion temps to go way up and leading to liner and block
cracks.  Anyone care to comment?
Many Thanks in Advance,
James J.