Re: Rover prep work and block weaknesses

To: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rover prep work and block weaknesses
From: "Hans Mattes" <mattes@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:56:37 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
My only experience is with one 3.5 liter Rover SD1 engine, circa 1984 (pre
"stiff block").  I run it in a Lotus 7 style car (Westfield SEiGHT), mostly
for track use with a bit of in-town and highway driving.  The only
lubrication changes I've made is to fit a remote oil filter, an oil cooler,
and an Accusump -- and to drill an oiling hole in the front of the valley to
help lube the timing gears (page 53, Hardcastle, "Tuning Rover V8 Engines").

I thrash it fairly hard, often for 20 minutes at a time, and oil
temperatures rise to 240F, I but try not to exceed 6,000 rpm.  My only oil
issues have been oil containment -- gaskets and breathers.  They are now
under control and I see no problems.  The engine doesn't develop high oil
pressure -- and gets down to less than 1 bar at hot idle, but I've had no
problems and no metal or residue in the oil.

I use Valvoline 20W50 racing motor oil and change after every track day.

I hope this is useful.  Good luck,

Hans