Re: Alluminum Wheels

To: Jim Miller <v8mgb@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Alluminum Wheels
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:18:22 -0400
Cc: MGBV8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hmmm. How about a chemical paint stripper first, followed by buffing bobs? My reasoning is such: Many of the strippers (chemical, not female) you find in Advance or Pep boys are intended for aircraft finish removal, and therefore are intended for work over aluminum w/o damaging the aluminum. Maybe use some bronze wool to get off the softend paint (Is bronze OK w/ aluminum?? Anyone??? I suspect it is softer than steel and won't leave rust traces). Then, Eastwood Co. has a bunch of tiny bobs and wheels and compund just for aluminum castings. Then you can preserve the shine with a clear coat.
My $0.02
James J.

Jim Miller wrote:

I purchased a set of Saab 15 Mini-lite aluminum
wheels. The wheels are painted black in the center. What is the best way to clean these wheels up and
bring them back to the original mat silver vs.
chrome finish. Ant advice would be helpful.

Also is anyone else using these rims? What tire size
have you had success with? I was thinking 195/60-15