identifying gm t-5s

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: identifying gm t-5s
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:11:55 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Gents,
I find myself in the position of needing a new transmission.  I replaced the
rear oil seal on my T-10 last night and discovered that the whole debacle
with drivetrain industries left me with a bent output shaft.  Since I need a
tranny I'm looking into T-5s.  Before I decide on this route versus sourcing
another T-10 I need some answers, hopefully you guys can help.

How do I identify a .63 fifth from a .75?  Will there be a number on the
tranny or is it in the body number of the donor car?  Either way, what am I
looking for?

What cars did they come out of?

What spline count do they have on the input shaft?  Ten is preferable
because I can reuse my clutch.

What is the diameter of the input shaft?  This is significant for clutch
disk, but also so that I know if I can reuse my HTOB.

If I already have the factory 4sp bellhousing will the T-5 bolt right up?

If so, is the length of the input shaft the same or will I need to make a
spacer?

Does the pilot bushing need to be special or can I reuse the stock one?

Roughly, how long is the driveshaft when using a T-5?

I'm not worried about the speedo gears because I have an electronic
speedometer, but I'd like to know what thread the speedo takeoff is on the
T-5.

I'm aware that I will need to modify the crossmember again, and will likely
have to modify the shifter as well, so I don't anticipate any surprises
there.  Same for tunnel mods, there may be some but I'm not worried, I know
how to use a hammer :)

Obviously, I don't expect there are many people out there that have made the
T-10 to T-5 conversion, so I'm not as interested in conversion procedures
but in what was encountered when installing the T-5 to begin with.

If I missed anything that had to be modified or any special parts that had
to be sourced, please speak up.

 Thanks a lot everybody,

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer