Re: identifying gm t-5s

To: James Nazarian <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Subject: Re: identifying gm t-5s
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:55:44 -0400
Cc: v8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
James,
A GM T-5 will bolt to the 4-speed or 3&4 speed 215 bellhousing (but not the 3-speed one). A Ford T-5 will require an adapter plate, but since it has a longer input-shaft, it will work. There should be a tag on the housing, identifying the actual serial number. There are a few places on the web that will allow you to track the year and ratio from that tag. I have a Ford T-5 that I'm rebuilding and the tag was missing to begin with, but if you take the cover off the box, there will be numbers stamped onto the shafts of the cluster gears. A good tranny-shop should be able to tell you what unit you have based on the stamps. The big challange is just to avoid the 6-cyl. models which have lower torque ratings.
Good luck!
James J.

James Nazarian wrote:

Gents,
I find myself in the position of needing a new transmission.  I replaced the
rear oil seal on my T-10 last night and discovered that the whole debacle
with drivetrain industries left me with a bent output shaft.  Since I need a
tranny I'm looking into T-5s.  Before I decide on this route versus sourcing
another T-10 I need some answers, hopefully you guys can help.

How do I identify a .63 fifth from a .75?  Will there be a number on the
tranny or is it in the body number of the donor car?  Either way, what am I
looking for?

What cars did they come out of?

What spline count do they have on the input shaft?  Ten is preferable
because I can reuse my clutch.

What is the diameter of the input shaft?  This is significant for clutch
disk, but also so that I know if I can reuse my HTOB.

If I already have the factory 4sp bellhousing will the T-5 bolt right up?

If so, is the length of the input shaft the same or will I need to make a
spacer?

Does the pilot bushing need to be special or can I reuse the stock one?

Roughly, how long is the driveshaft when using a T-5?

I'm not worried about the speedo gears because I have an electronic
speedometer, but I'd like to know what thread the speedo takeoff is on the
T-5.

I'm aware that I will need to modify the crossmember again, and will likely
have to modify the shifter as well, so I don't anticipate any surprises
there.  Same for tunnel mods, there may be some but I'm not worried, I know
how to use a hammer :)

Obviously, I don't expect there are many people out there that have made the
T-10 to T-5 conversion, so I'm not as interested in conversion procedures
but in what was encountered when installing the T-5 to begin with.

If I missed anything that had to be modified or any special parts that had
to be sourced, please speak up.

Thanks a lot everybody,

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer