throw out bearings

To: "Mgbv8 List \(E-mail\)" <MGB-V8@autox.team.net>
Subject: throw out bearings
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:37:56 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
There has been a bit of chat about hydraulic throw out bearings so I thought
I would chime in.  I have used the McLeod (Webber) since they first came
out, now in my 4th car with only 1 problem with the very first one I bought,
which leaked a bit. Red Roberts apologiesed  & explained that the swivel
fitting had been outsourced & was not to spec. It was replaced at no charge.

I believe that using Castoroil GTX brake fluid has eliminated any leaks in
my applications, but I have heard of others having leaks.

When putting my 300 drive train together, I talked to Dan @ D&D to see if
the cheaper Howe or Tilton bearings were any good. He said that he had
looked at all of them & that the McLeod appeared to be the strongest, with
the largest contact surface area at the clutch fingers, & recommended that I
stay with what I knew would work.

What prompted this E-mail was an article I was reading in the November "Hot
Rod" magazine about a 2002 Z06 Corvette. It had been put on a chassis dyno
that reads torque & horsepower at the rear wheels, rather than the higher
readings taken at the flywheel at less than real life conditions. This
particular Corvette put out 466.3 HP at 5900 RPM, & 471.9 pounds of torque
at 4500 RPM. Quartermile time was 11.0 flat at 132 MPH. Pretty stout!  More
unusual, it ran a Tremac M12 6 speed & used a McLeod HTO bearing.

If the McLeod is up to all that,  seems that it just might be adequate for
our stuff.

Jim Stuart

Reply to <jimbb88@usa.com>