RE: How crash-worthy is an MGB?

To: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>, "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>, "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How crash-worthy is an MGB?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:27:12 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
James:

Not at all off topic.  Some of us still want to commute in our cars and how
safe they are in an accident is very important.

My 65B was rear ended by a VW bus on the freeway.  I was stopped and the bus
was probably doing about 45 mph.  It shortened the car about a foot, but
luckily above the fuel tank.  My seat back buckled increasing rake by about 20
degrees, but I did not have any back or neck problems.  I was propelled into
the back of a stationary pickup and mushed the front of the B a bit.

A friend drove her 80B under the rear of a pickup at about 35 mph.  The truck
bumper hit about midline of the headlights and pushed the engine block back
into the firewall about 2".  The gearbox and driveshaft pushed down and ripped
the body crossmember spot welds out.  This is the same type sacrificial crush
that Volvo was so proud of.  Her injuries were restricted to a badly broken
ankle as her feet got tangled in the accelerator pedal after slipping off the
brake.  The seatbelts prevented any other injuries to her or the passenger.

Good cars, built very tough.  Drive with confidence.  Always wear your seatbelt.

Kelvin.