personal V8 observations

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: personal V8 observations
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:13:56 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
All,
I doubt that this e-mail contains any new info, in fact it's probably painfully obvious to most of you, but just a few realizations that were new to me. I just picked up a used '01 Mustang GT. My 10 year old Taurus SHO was getting near another $2000+ lifter shim adjustment and genreal overhaul, so I decided to get something cheap and fun w/an automatic because of the awful rush-hour traffic here in DC. Anyhow, two observations I've made are:
This thing has a stock 2-row aluminum radiator that dwarfs ours. It's go to be around 27" wide and 20" tall with a huge electric puller on the back. This is for a 4.6L V8, which is smaller than a stroked Rover 3.9L or 4.0L. I knew cooling the MGB would be a challenge, but I never realized what a handicap we were starting with. Then again, the 64-67 289/302 mustang used the same size rad. as the MG so It's do-able.
Second, this is the first car I've ever driven extensively w/a solid rear axle. I grew up in the front-wheel drive generation, and all the cars I owned had and independant rear, no matter how primative. I never fully grasped what people were talking about when they complained about how loose the rear of an MG could feel with a big engine and hard cornering. Anyhow, the Mustang has a 4-link trailing arm solid axle. The upper links are mounted farther apart on the chassis than they are on the axle, to give a form of triangulation, but there is no panhard rod, or watts link. All I can say it that it quivers all over the place on launch and around corners. You can relly fell the body move lateraly relative to the axle. Rubber bushings don't help any, I'm sure. I'm glad I've ordered a panhard rod kit for the MGB.
Again, nothing new here for the old-timers, but maybe there is another newby or two on this list who might appreciate this.

James J.

///
/// mgb-v8@autox.team.net mailing list
/// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
/// Send list postings to mgb-v8@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.