RE: Rubber to Chrome Bumper Conversion

To: "'Jim Miller'" <v8mgb@yahoo.com>, "'MGBV8'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rubber to Chrome Bumper Conversion
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:53:24 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Jim-

I have converted 2 cars to chrome, helped a couple of others convert theirs.
The rear bracket is easy to fab. All you need is a flat plate for each side,
bolting to the two inside rubber bumper  mounting holes. You can use a long
bolt or stud, both requiring a tube spacer, to mount the chrome bumper
backing iron. If you can weld, drill for the bolt & weld the head to the
back side of the bracket & weld a thick washer in place of the spacer. The
holes can be located, once the plates are bolted in place, by taking some
careful measurements from a chrome bumper car.

If you are cutting parts from a donor car- lower pieces for the lights- cut
the sides from the front frame members to get the captive nuts already
welded to plates.

None of the repro bumpers available are worth a crap. All will rust through
from the back if you do not apply several coats of paint & primer. The rear
bumpers are not shaped correctly at the ends, having a rather sharp lower
corner. They all appear to come from the same source, so buy the cheapest
you can find. Used bumper irons & brackets are fine to use, just buy the
bumper faces & new bolts. (and new overriders if that is your taste. I left
them off my cars.)

While you are cutting from the donor car, cut out the slam panel- the piece
that holds the hood latch. You can cut out the center section from your car,
between the radiator supports, & overlay the new piece on top of what is
left, using the original bolt holes. Having the slam panel out of the way
makes engine install & removal a breeze. You do not need the center down
support.

My understanding is that D & D has the rear conversion brackets for sale.
Call Dan 810 798 2491 for prices.

Jim Stuart

Reply to <jimbb88@usa.com>