TR3 Rover V8 engine problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Rover V8 engine problem
From: "Wayne Brazinski" <wayne@brazinski.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:50:54 -0600
Cc: <julianchas5@aol.com>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi everyone -
I'm posting a lot these days.  Not surprising really - since the wife sent me
to my room for bad behavior.

My new friend Julian told me about a problem he was having with his Rover V8
engine not producing oil pressure because the oil pump was draining.  Despite
the fact that the email below suggests that the problem goes away if he starts
the engine weekly, the situation is getting worse.

Are there any RV8 or Buick V8 guys who can help out?  Julian says he has
checked the pump and it appears to be in spec.....

Thanks!

Wayne

Hello, group.

And I thought I was the only lunatic around, and now I find there are more.  I
have a 1959 TR3
with a TR8 (Buick alum blk) and 5sp trans. I built the car in 1996 and have
done 20thou miles since with no problems except one.  Sometimes I am not
around to use the car for months and it seems thru sitting the oil pump (ext,
frnt of eng) drains.  When I start up the car there is NO oil pressure.  There
is also no way of priming the pump manually. The first time I took the pump
off and rebuilt it, pressure was fine.  Many months later it did the same
thing,  I took the bottom half off the pump while it was still on the car and
re pact it  with petroleum jelly, and it worked fine. Now I start it up
weekly.  It is a very exciting car to drive, like a skateboard on steroids.
Would be interested in a get together,  I am in the S.Monica/Venice
Cal area.  Keep those cards and letters coming.  See you all soon.   Julian
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.