Re: TR3 Rover V8 engine problem

To: "Wayne Brazinski" <wayne@brazinski.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Rover V8 engine problem
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:03:51 -0000
Cc: <julianchas5@aol.com>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Does he mean he gets no oil pressure at all from running the engine?  And so
has to remove the pump and pack it with Vaseline before he does?  If so I'd
say there *is* something wrong somewhere.  Or just that it takes longer to
develop oil pressure if left for months than if started every week?  Mine
doesn't usually sit for longer than about a month and whilst it might be
true that the oil pressure builds faster when used every day than after a
month there is no real difference in mine between a week and a month.

You *can* prime a factory V8, at least, as well as pre-pressurise it.  To
prime it you remove the hose from the remote oil filter and pour oil down
it, which may not be possible on other configurations.  To pre-pressurise
remove the distributor, which drives the oil pump, and you can put a drill
with a suitable adapter shaft on the oil pump.  I'd be surprised if that
were unique to the Rover V8.

If it is getting worse as you say then something is obviously changing which
implies there *is* something wrong, but that maybe just that the original
problem of lack of oil in the bearings is knackering them when he runs it
like that, and that is now making it even more difficult to build pressure.

PaulH.