Re: Under bonnet temp

To: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: Under bonnet temp
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:36:23 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Barrie,
There are too many variables out there to come up with an answer to that one. Having said that, I'd suggest that you investigate a reflective surface on the engine-side of the dampening material, or a combo of insulating matereal atop a deadening compound. Dynamat and others do this. Let me throw out someunrelated numbers that will be of absolutely no use to you: Engine exhaust manifolds can easily reach ~1200 Deg F, if they are uncoated or unwrapped. Resin-based Fiberglass panels will soften at ~150 Deg F. Some OEM paints blister or discolour on the hoods of really hot engines. Assume a heat gun can do the same thing at ~600 Deg F. Also, if the car is painted a dark color (or colour) like BRG or black, the sun, itself, can heat the material to nearly boiling (or higher). For this reason, many fiberglass panel/body folks recommend against painting their products black.
JJJ

Barrie Robinson wrote:

Can anyone tell me with authority, the maximum temperature reached under the hood - at the hood? I need to know to check out what adhesives will stick sound deadening stuff under the bonnet (hood)

Regards

Barrie Robinson