Oil pump woes

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil pump woes
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 22:46:49 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I'm having some trouble with the oil pump on my recent rebuilt engine.  I'm
hoping the voice of experience can help me out here.

First of all, the engine is a rebuilt 215 Olds.  I did the work myself.  The
oil pump is a metric v6 pump with a remote filter mount on it.  The oil
system is carried over from the engine prior to the rebuild, so it used to
work fine.  However, it was all taken apart and cleaned during the rebuild
process, so the gaskets are all new.

The problem that I am having is that it takes a long time to build pressure,
once pressure is built it is low.  Takes a minute to make 10 or 15 psi.  I
plumbed a piece of clear oil line into the outlet side of the oil filter
adapter to check the quality of flow leaving the oil pump.  This line would
be going directly into the oil filter if it were mounted directly.  As I
suspected, I'm getting a lot of air in the oil coming out of the pump.

In a 1/2" ID oil line, the oil is intermixed with bubbles that are 1-2"
long, overall the volume of flow looks good.  Based on this behavior, I am
confident that the air is being drawn in before or at the pump, since a leak
anywhere else would cause oil leaks.  There is no external oil seepage at
the pump, so I'm inclined to say that it is not drawing in atmospheric air
at the pump gasket.  This leaves an internal air leak at the pump, or the
pickup to block gasket.

Is it even possible for an internal leak in the oil pump gasket to suck air?

Is there any air in this vicinity?

Does anyone have any other experience to offer before I tear the pan off of
the engine to check the sump pickup?

I don't like the idea of pulling the pan until I am confident that it isn't
the pump.

Thanks!
James Nazarian
71 MGBGT-V8