Re:

To: "Doris Hug" <hug304@ameritech.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:32:16 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In my experience these gaskets can be very variable - even when they are not
supposed to be!  There seems to be quite a mismatch in the size and position
of the ports of the head and tubular (nor RV8) manifolds.  The ports in the
manifolds are bigger than the ports in the heads so it does not cause a
restriction, but it does reduce the overlap between them.  When you add in
the fact that the two ports don't always have the same centres, and the
gaskets are located by the studs and so can have different centres as well,
you can end up with an extremely narrow overlap in some places.  Whilst the
tin-faced gaskets can put up with this reasonably well, albeit with a bit of
blowing in some cases, I have found composition gaskets can get chunks blown
out of them after just a few miles.  I've had to weld struts between the
flanges of the manifolds in an attempt to hold them somewhere near the
correct position (and stop them warping!) but I have seen some RV8 headers
with one-piece flanges and these should be much better.  I remember Clive
Wheatley saying it wasn't until he had some of these flanges cut using the
same jig as the older tubulars and offered them up to the heads that he
realised how far out the tubulars had always been.

PaulH.