Re: Steering rack

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering rack
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:39:59 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Gear oil the same as for the back axle i.e. EP SAE90.  That's 1/3rd
*Imperial* pint, 0.4 US pint, 0.3 Litre.  You have a choice of either
removing the damper cover and damper and pouring it in there, or removing
the clamp or nylon tie at the big end of one of the gaiters and putting it
in there with an oil gun.  But if you pour it in the damper housing without
regard to how much is already in there you could burst a gaiter if rapidly
going from lock to lock.  If you are going to drain and refill you will have
to remove a gaiter big end, so might as well as put it back in there and
avoid disturbing something else.  To do that clamp the bottom and sides of
the gaiter to the rack housing with one hand while you insert the oil gun at
the top with the other.  Squirt it in bit by bit periodically slowly moving
the rack from lock to lock to distribute it.  Finally reclamp.

PaulH.