Re: Thermometer

To: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: Thermometer
From: James Jewell <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:41:17 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Barrie,
Actually, no. Water transmits some IR energy from the bottom of the pot (the stove top) on up, which is usually much hotter than the actual water. So, in actuality, you will be measuring a combination of the stove top and the boiling water, not the infra-red transparent water by itself. Sorry.

By the way, there is usually a little switch inside of the battery compartment that lets you set the device to read in proper Fahrenheit degrees, not that wacky EU centigrade scale...... Everyone knows that water boils at 212..... ;-)

James J.

Barrie Robinson wrote:
I thought I would just mention this as we have had a lot of chat about overheating. I found at Princess Auto (Barrie, Ontario) a laser (remote) thermometer. It is tiny and really very well thought out. You just point and click - viola - the temp. So I can now easily check the rad & block because one never knows if the gauge is being truthful !!! I am going to test it against boiling water ....should say 100 degrees yes !

It cost $25

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson