Re: freeeeeeze plugz

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: freeeeeeze plugz
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 1995 10:40:49 +0000
On Sat, 25 Feb 1995, Will Zehring wrote:

> what might be the "best" way to get them out?  I don't think there is
> room in the engine bay for my slide hammer

Pound in a center punch, and pry out. Or, you might try drilling a pilot
hole, putting in a largish screw, and using the claw end of a hammer.

The freeze plug is dimpled in when installed, which spreads the edges
out, forming the seal.  Your goal is to reverse the dimple (make the
while thing convex) and relieve that pressure.

> -will a simple ball-peen (sp?) hammer suffice to put a new one in?

Sure, but use the flat end.  The ball end concentrates the force in too
small an area and just dents the plug.

> -how much cleaning around the circle in the block should I do?  I mean: I
> don't want to score any surfaces with a wire brush or something if scoring
> the surface is going to result in another leak with the fresh plug.

We cleaned our freeze plug seats with ScotchBrite and put down our Blue
Goo (RTV gasket former).  The new plug should be convex to the outside...
Tap it in gently to get it seated square... then tap more vigorously in
the center to create a large dimple there.

It's quite easy with the engine out of the car.... it'll be a mite
trickier in your situation.

I'd like to say now that the whole engine is held together with Blue Goo,
and we are indebted to the fine folks at (insert popular goo manufacturer
here).  Especially when the $@@#&# rear plate gasket from Unipart didn't
line up.

(I don't remember the real name of the goop or the manufacturer,
unfortunately).

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E Stock     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"7.  Whatever it is that hits the fan, it will not be evenly distributed.
(The third law of reality.) - Jack Neafsey"