Re: HIF4 or HS4?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HIF4 or HS4?
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 15:11:41 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 9 Mar 1995, Agustin de la Calle wrote:

> Dear SOLers,
> (I think we still are, even here)
> Can anybody say if there is an obvious reason why one should prefer
> either the HS4 over the HIF4 SU carb or vice versa? Does the position of
> the float bowl make a difference?
>
> I am trying to decide which carb would be better for my Midget.
> At least now I know that the MGA carbs (H4) should rather be avoided.

HIF4 Pros: Temperature Compensation, less plumbing to leak, adjust with
screwdriver.  Spring-loaded self-centering metering needle.

HIF4 Cons: Have to remove carb to work on float, bowl, or  float needle,
less range for mixture adjustment.

HS4 Pros: easy access to float bowl for cleaning/maintenance.  More
obvious tuning procedure.

HS4 Cons: need retuning with radical temperature changes, more sensitive
to engine compartment heat, line from float bowl to metering jet will
eventually leak and need new o-rings.  Careful centering of metering
needle in jet required.

I work with both and like the HIF4s better, except for not >really<
having the right screwdriver to adjust them.  The HSs are OK too, though.

Helpful? <G>

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E Stock     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Octal is just like base 10, really, if you're missing
two fingers. - Tom Lehrer"