permanently full fuel tank

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: permanently full fuel tank
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 10:38:51 -0500
 The fuel guage on my 73 B has been registering
just above the full mark continuously fo rthe pas month or so.  The fuel
tank and sending unit are both less than three years old.   Should I begin
my investigation with
the sending unit, the guage, or somewhere in between?

Chris -

Does your temperature gauge read normally?  I'm thinking of the voltage
stabilizer that resides under hte dash up on the fire wall and feeds
current to both temp and gas gauges through the green wires.  If that is
the problem, your temp gauge will show hot all the time too.  Otherwise, I
would suspect your fuel tank sending float is hanging up - or (somebody
with a wiring diagram handy please help me with this as I can't remember)
will the gauge indicate full if the lead from the sending unit is shorting
to ground somewhere?

Allen Bachelder